Radical Preaching

Can preaching again have something to say?
This blog marks the attempt to bring the theological vision of Radical Orthodoxy into the worship and preaching of the local church.

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Radical Orthodoxy and OT Theology

Fellow bloggers,
I am currently in my just second OT class in Trevecca's masters program so I am really wading throught some OT issues. In short, I am attempting to grasp what a Radical Orthodoxy reading of the OT is. Admittedly, I am beginning my struggle through RO and in light of reading von Rad, Eichrodt, and others in OT theology, I am wondering what, outside of the emphasis upon creation ex-nihilo, RO has to say about OT theology on a larger scale. Of course, I am not asking for an RO view of OT theology, but rather how does it dialogue with the lack of the body/soul dichotomy in that appears later? Is there any connection between the Hebrew mindset (if there is one to be known) in the OT and what RO is attempting to do? I am sure this could have been worded a little clearer, but I know their is some continuity between current OT theologizing and RO. Any thoughts?

Peace,

Nathan

5 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

In The Word Made Strange, there is an article, "Christological Poetics," where Milbank discusses the Old Testament in a good bit of detail (See pp. 130-134).

You might also draw upon Augustine's look at Old Testament theophanies. In Augustine and Modernity, Michael Hanby deals with Augustine's reading of these theophanies in De Trinitate (See pp. 30-32).

I will try to check some other books. Are there any specific questions that you are looking at?

Grace and Peace,
Scott

October 30, 2005 6:12 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

In Conor Cunningham's Genealogy of Nihilism, there is a logic at work there that I think is very close to Old Testament accounts of nihilism. His logic is that nihilism sunders the something (relationship with YHWH), making it nothing, and then rendering that nothing as something (the creation of gods to help them go forward into the Wilderness). This might be an interesting angle to pursue for an RO connection to OT theology.

November 01, 2005 6:24 AM  
Blogger nlcarden said...

Scott,
Thanks for the resources. Specifically, I was noticing in the my OT reading that many of the authors are speaking from an Enlightenment drenched perspective. I am now attempting to appropriate an OT theology based upon all my reading as one of our papers calls us to do, and I don't want to fall into the liberalism in which some of the authors are entrenched. It is difficult given the antiquated texts and the struggle to understand perspective without being to Hist/crit in your approach. I just want to formulate an OT theology in light of the communal witness of Israel w/o becoming too developmental or sociological in my analysis. I was hoping that some RO perspective could help keep me in the balance.
I am going to check out "Christological Poetics" and the others. I am not articulating like I need to about this matter; my head is still spinning in attempting to paint an overall picture of God based upon OT scripture. Thanks for the help -
Nathan

November 01, 2005 7:02 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

Milbank has an article called "The History of the One God" that might be relevant.

You might also look at Milbank's "Can a Gift be Given? Prolegomena to a Future Trinitarian Metaphysics." In this he looks a bit at OT concepts of covenant and contract.

November 08, 2005 4:27 AM  
Blogger nlcarden said...

Brevard Childs is doing some good work in OT studies that might dialogue nicely with RO. He argues for a canonical reading of the OT text in light of the Patristic mindset. Francis Watson is likeminded from the U of London. In his book "Text and Truth", he argues against autonomous, rationalistic OT exegesis. He is a little removed from RO, but their are common threads of thought.
Thanks for the help!

November 11, 2005 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home