Radical Preaching

Can preaching again have something to say?
This blog marks the attempt to bring the theological vision of Radical Orthodoxy into the worship and preaching of the local church.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Youth Ministry & Radical Preaching

Wow, the past two months have been a blur! Sorry I have been absent from all conversation over this time period.

I am now a youth pastor, and I no longer preach every week. Since I began my new ministry, I have read a number of youth ministry related books and articles. Interestingly, many youth pastors are searching for practices that will ground their youth in the Christian faith and help to move beyond a youth "program" centered on entertainment for a vision of the youth as a vibrant part of the life of the church.

What I do see missing is a Trinitarian theology that will give meaning and direction to the very good practices being introduced and cultivated in youth ministry today.

What I am proposing is a series of posts that could potentially turn into a book proposal where we seek to explain Trinitarian theology in such a way that our youth workers, leaders, and youth themselves can understand and begin to embody. I guess what I am imagining is a chapter on the Triune God and the superabundant economy of Triune love. What is the place of the Church in the Triune God? What is our place in the Church? Then, I would like to see a chapter on how worship (specifically the Eucharist) is the grammar of the church. Then, I would like to explore how the very specific practices of the faith emanate from this Trinitarian logic. In all of these discussions, I would like to keep things very specific to avoid the flight into the obscure that Trinitarian theology often staggers into.

Is anyone interested in such a conversation/project?

Peace,
Scott

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric Lee said...

Yeah, I'm in, as time allows, of course. My big paper this semester is on the Trinity. I just finished reading Karl Rahner's The Trinity, and he doesn't like those obscure neo-Scholastic discussions about the Trinity, either! :)

I'm currently reading Robert Jenson's Systematic Theology: Volume 1: The Triune God and will then read David Bentley Hart's The Beauty of the Infinite: The Aesthetics of Christian Truth. Oh...boy.

Peace,

Eric

April 05, 2006 11:09 PM  
Blogger Fr. D.L. Jones said...

I'm in as well...

April 08, 2006 7:33 AM  
Blogger Jonathon said...

i'm in too!!

jonathon

April 21, 2006 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home